Friday, April 23, 2010

Peony Flower Tutorial!

Happy Friday, blog peeps!  As promised, I have the tutorial on what I'm calling the Peony Flower that I created on this post.  I really love how this flower looks!  I've seen many renditions of it now, using different flower dies (scallop circle, flower layers, etc), but the flowers I'll be using today are from the Stampin'Up!Blossom Party Bigz die.  Here's a look at the flower pieces:
Aren't those flowers fun? Ready to get started?  Here's what you'll need: 
{Supplies}:
*4 large blossom die cuts and 1 small flower die cut on Whisper White cardstock {or any color cardstock}
*spray bottle filled with water and a small towel (to absorb the water spray!)
*paper piercing tool and mat
*brad
*2 ink pads - I used Melon Mambo and Pretty in Pink {basically 2 colors, one lighter than the other}
1.  Spray the flowers with water until they are moist.
2.  Scrunch up each of the flowers into a little ball.

3.  Gently open up the large flowers, then place them directly onto the Pretty In Pink ink pad.
You'll see that the ink will absorb on the creased parts of your flower, creating a "veiny and mottled" appearance:
5.  For the center small flower, place that direcly onto the Melon Mambo ink pad:
6.  Once all your flowers have been dipped (face down) in the ink pads, stack them up and create a hole in the center with your paper piercing tool.
 
7.  Secure your flower with a small brad.  It's starting to come together!  You can stop at this stage if you want your flower to look more like a dahlia. 
8.  If you want to keep going, take that pretty flower and spray lightly with the water bottle just to moisten it up a little.  Then, scrunch it back up into a ball - so it sorta looks like a clam at this point.
9.  Now for the big reveal - slowly uncrumple the petals and and scrunch as you go.  You'll get a flower that looks like this.
Viola!!! You've now created a beautiful peony flower!  It may be a little damp, so set aside and let dry.  You'll see that the petals will hold the nice and scrunched shape. Too fun! Enjoy!!!

Thanks for coming by!


29 comments:

LeAnne said...

Gorgeous, Rose! It almost looks like felt, or very thick paper, done this way! Very realistic!

Dawn said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you Rose! I'll be trying these beauties tonight!

Kathy Martin said...

Totally Amazing! :)

Girl can Knit - Cherry Lane Knit Stamp Quilt said...

It is absolutely gorgeous!

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

Rose, These are exquisite!!! You know I'll be trying this beauty. You're so clever. I love this.

Lynda said...

Wow! How pretty is that?!?

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous flower! It does not look like paper. You are quite talented!

AJ said...

This is brilliant, Rose! Thanks for sharing.

Melissa Sauls said...

OMG this is TOTALLY gorgeous girl!!! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I so need to try this out!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous blossom tutorial!!! Love it! I may have to use my cricut to cut out some blossoms... I hope I get this in the end!! :)

Tanya said...

Thanks!!!!!!! Great tutorial Rose!

Kimberly's Krafts said...

Awesome tutorial Rose! I will definatly be trying these beauties out! Soooo pretty! Thanks so much!

Helen F. said...

GORGEOUS peony, looks like the silk ones you buy in the craft store! Thanks so much for the great tutorial...you make it look so easy ( I'm sure it will take me waaaay longer and many tries to even come close :o)

Michelle Gray said...

OMGosh, Rose! So pretty. I thought it was real at first glance.
TFS!

Shauna said...

What a great tutorial. I can't wait to play with something similar.

Lisa Brown said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Must try it! Thanks, Rose!

Nicky Hsu said...

Rose, What a great tutorial. The flower is so beautiful and I got to give it a try.

Jane said...

Awesome!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Alice said...

gorgeous flower! thanks for the tutorial!!

can2rus said...

Oh my goodness! Your peonies don't even look like they could possibly be made from paper! They are so pretty! Thank you for sharing!

Judy M said...

Oh my!!! This is stunning!! I love the peony and will have to try this right away! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial!!

Judy

Cindy Lee said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us, Rose!!! I love this!

Winter said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I need one of those for my hair! So pretty! :)

Bonnie Weiss said...

Just came across your blog and this tutorial. This is such a pretty flower and one I am going to try as soon as I post this comment. There are so many tutorials out right now for such a variety of flowers but this one is by far one of the prettiest that I have seen. I guess the fact that I love peonies makes a bit of a difference. Thanks for sharing this, Rose.

stampingminnie said...

Hi Rose! I just love flowers and I really love how you made the this one. Thank you so much for the instructions!!!

Wink said...

These Peony's are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Dorothy T in FL said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. When I was growing up my Mother loved peonies and we had many, many plants around our back porch. When I looked at the peony you made, I "smelled" those peonies as if I had a vase full of them in front of me. I will certainly have to try to make thme myself.

Vonnie said...

Wow this is just beautiful!
Yvonne

Lesley Lawton said...

Beautiful flowers thank you xxx