Thursday, February 5, 2009

Felt butterflies fluttering by

Hello all! Happy Thursday! Today, I'm actually sharing a non-card project. I've been wanting to make something with felt using the Big Shot dies, and I've finally come up with this Felt Butterfly album that I made for my cousin's bday. I'm posting this today because I am actually seeing her, and she typically doesn't check the internet first thing, so I don't think she'll see this...heehee. Here's the album:

I am really happy with how this album came out! Also - did you notice my new watermark? I'm happy to tell you all that my Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 finally came the other day, and of course, I had to play around with it and create this watermark! It was a little bit of a challenge navigating and trying to figure out how to do things without a manual, but luckily I managed :)

So back to the project... I actually had to bust out my glue gun...which I have to say I haven't used in years. I was glad to find that I did still have it, as well as a bag full of glue sticks! So here's what I did.

I was very excited to be able to use the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die for this project. I have to say that the Bigz dies cut felt beautifully! So, I cut the large butterfly in the light blue felt and the smaller one in chocolate brown and actually stitched them and the button all together. Once I had the butterfly ensemble, I set that aside and cut out the "G" in felt. Here's a tip...now knowing that felt doesn't hold letter shapes like the "G" very well, I would recommend that you mount the felt onto cardstock or something that is firmer, because gluing down the G was a little challenging to get the shape right. Ok..I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's the order of assembly:
1. Glue ribbon onto the cover first. The hot glue gun really does a good job holding it down.
2. Next, glue down the butterfly. I also glued down the wings of the brown felt butterfly onto the blue one, just so that it was more secure.
3. Glue down the 3 buttons and space them out a little towards the "G" or whatever initial
4. Gluing the G - I did it in segments starting at the top end and working and shaping your way to the bottom. Like I said, if you can mount the letter onto cardstock, that would probably be a better call!
5. Add the Pearl pretties and you're done!

Hope you like today's project. More importantly, I really hope my cousin likes it! It was fun making something non-card and non-paper! Enjoy your day!


4 comments:

Patty Bennett said...

FABULOUS!! I just used my butterfly die last night.. LOVE it!! :) Patty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! You always have great ideas!!!

Anonymous said...

This is just adorable! Wow...you really dressed up the album...great new WM too. :)

Lisa Brown said...

This is so pretty! I'm sure your cousin will love it!