Tuesday, March 23, 2010

home ec {101}

Ok - so first of all, let me start by saying that I am not a great sewer. I've made 3 sewing projects in the course of my life time. They are: 1) a mouse-shaped pillow in 7th grade, 2) tissue holders that I made when I first got my Janome Mini last year, and now 3) this ADORABLE rag quilt purse {if I do say so myself}, with the help of the Big Shot and Angie Juda's awesome tutorial here. Now, I have to say I'm soo hooked! I definitely need to practice sewing, but now that I've gotten my first purse done, I can't wait to make more and try making different styles, too! For this purse, I used the Heather Bailey fabric I got last month and I really am so happy with the colors and everything. Now you wanna see how I did it? I'm not quite video enabled yet, so I thought I'd walk you through the basic steps of constructing this purse.

1. This purse is made up of 19 double sided scalloped squares, so I ran the fabric through my big shot and used 3 different patterned fabric. The die I used is the Stampin'Up! Scallop Square Clear die. The next step below is sewing the "scallop sandwich" together. The scalloped squares on the outside, and the batting in the middle. After consulting with other fellow demonstrators, I went with 100% cotton batting from the craft store. I sewed an "x" on each of these squares. I'd have to say that this was the most time intensive step!

2. Next, I laid out the scallop squares into the fabric pattern I wanted for my purse. The front and back are 3 squares wide by 2 squares high, and the bottom and sides make up 7 squares.

3. Look at how my purse "shrunk down" after pinning the sides. This picture actually has some parts already sewn together and some parts yet to be sewn.

4. Here's a close up of the batting that's in the middle. I think it definitely adds to the purse shape and sturdiness.

5. Here's a look at the inside - it looks like a finished quilt! Now a note about the straps and closure - the straps are 2" x 24" pieces of fabric and you'll also want to insert batting in between. The batting measures out to be 3/4" x 24". For the closure, I used a 12" piece of 5/8" SU! Regal Rose grosgrain ribbon and a big button.

6. Viola!! Here's the finished purse - isn't it just TOO CUTE? I haven't washed it yet, but by doing so, it'll fluff up the scallops to give it that rag quilt look.


Hope you like it! It's a great project and lots of fun to make...even for beginners like me.

Thanks for stopping by!


8 comments:

Beth said...

Beautiful! Love your fabrics.

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you Rose!
Wow! What a beautiful purse!
I will have to get my courage up and try my hand at this... I suppose I will have to dust off my lonely sewing machine first... :)
Take care!
Kris

Melissa Sauls said...

OMG That is toooo cute!! Love the fabric and love the step by step photos. Ok...I'm actually tempted to try that out myself!

Carole'Anne AKA Stampin Stressaway said...

Great tutorial!
looks like you did alot of work and it's beautiful
I wanted to let you know that I featured your swap cards on my blog today
thank you for your cards both super adorable

~amy~ said...

OMGoodness...I LOVE it!!!!

Shauna said...

Oh that is so so cute! I love the quilted look, and it's so beautifully springy!

Jane said...

YUMMY!!!! LOVE LOVE your fabric! I wish I can sew......I'm still trying to figure out how to thread the bloody needle!

Helen F. said...

Ohhh, I remember your post showing this gorgeous fabric~love love love the sweet purse project you made with it!